So crispy on the outside, packed with flavor and gooey cheese on the inside, these vegetarian Baked Crispy Jackfruit Taquitos will be your new favorite weeknight dinner!
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tap cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch of cinnamon
For the Taquitos:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl assemble your spice blend: cumin, chili powder, cayenne, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and cinnamon and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add in your onion and cook until the onions start to look translucent (about 5 minutes). Next add in your spice blend and cook for an additional minute.
- Add jackfruit, maple syrup, soy sauce, and lime juice and stir occasionally to break up the jackfruit. Once the jackfruit has darkened and starts to look like shredded meat (about 5 minutes), stir in the enchilada sauce, adobo peppers, and water. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm the tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave, until pliable (see note). On a large baking sheet, rub the tortillas with olive oil (only rub one side – the side that will be the “outside” of the taquito). Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the jackfruit down the middle of the tortilla. Sprinkle on cheese, then roll up and place seam-side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 10 minutes, or until the tortillas are crisp (see note).
- Serve taquitos with guacamole, salsa, or any other desired toppings.
- If you don’t like spicy food then omit the cayenne and either cut back on the adobo peppers or omit them completely.
- If the tortillas become more difficult to work with and start tearing as you’re assembling the taquitos, simply re-heat them to make them more pliable. I ended up heating and then assembling about three at a time.
- Baking time may vary depending on what brand of tortillas you use / how thick they are. Keep an eye on them and flip when they’re starting to look golden. Once flipped, continue cooking until they have reached the desired level of crispness. I used these tortillas
- To make vegan, simply omit the cheese or switch it out for your favorite vegan cheese.
- Category: entree
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 3 taquitos
- Calories: 428
- Sugar: 5.1g
- Fat: 15.5g
- Carbohydrates: 61.2g
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 13.8g
Keywords: baked crispy jackfruit taquitos, taquitos, jackfruit taquitos, crispy baked taquitos