This Curried Chickpea Soup is the perfect cozy comfort food. Warming and packed with flavor, this soup will keep you full for hours.
Most people seem to think that soup is a food that should be reserved for the winter and not eaten in the dead of summer…. to those people I say you clearly haven’t experienced Women’s Winter in the workplace (aka sub arctic AC blasting and freezing to death at your desk because you didn’t realize it was necessary to wear a parka to work when it’s 100 degrees outside). But I digress…… my point here is soup is good all year round. So if you want to make soup in the winter go for it. If you want to make soup in the summer? You do you friend!
Plus when a soup is this good it deserves to be eaten all year round. It’s absolutely packed with spices and herbs which makes for one of the most flavorful soups I’ve ever made. The combination of protein packed chickpeas and rice as a healthy carb will keep you full for hours. Plus you’ll be getting your veggies in! This is truly one of my favorite soups and I know you’re going to love it!
For this Curried Chickpea Soup you will need:
- sea salt
- chicken or veggie broth
- yellow onion
- curry powder
- jasmine or basmati rice
- dried mint (or fresh mint)
- dried dill (or fresh dill)
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXOPrint
This Curried Chickpea Soup is the perfect cozy comfort food. Warming and packed with flavor, this soup will keep you full for hours! Plus it honestly only gets better the next day so you really can’t go wrong.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt (more to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/3 cup jasmine or basmati rice (uncooked)
- 2–3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 2 cans of chickpeas (drained)
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried mint (or 3 tbsp fresh mint)
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried dill (or 3 tbsp fresh dill)
- Melt the butter in a large soup pan over medium heat. Add the onion, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the rice, carrots, and broth. Increase the heat to medium, cover and simmer until the rice and carrots are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of simmering, add the chickpeas to the soup.
- Remove from heat and stir in the herbs. (Taste and add more salt if needed).
This soup isn’t overly “soupy” or liquidy so if you want it to be more soupy add more broth.
- Category: entrees, lunch
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 235
- Sugar: 8.3g
- Fat: 6.7g
- Carbohydrates: 36.1g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Cholesterol: 15.2mg
Keywords: curried soup, chickpea soup, curried chickpea soup, curried chickpeas
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!