Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies are naturally gluten free, dairy free, and low in sugar – not to mention they taste delicious! Only 1 bowl needed, and ready in less than 30 minutes. This will be your new favorite breakfast meal prep.
Hello, my name is Colleen and I am obsessed with all things breakfast cookies. There’s just something particularly exciting about eating cookies for breakfast, you know what I’m saying? It just feels extra special, like you’re getting away with something you’re not supposed to do. The good news? Even thought these cookies feel indulgent for breakfast, they’re 100% so healthy that your mom would feed them to you for breakfast.
So go forth, my lovelies, spread those wings and make yourself some dang cookies for breakfast!
Some of the many reasons you’ll love these breakfast cookies:
- Super easy 1 – bowl recipe. Less dishes anyone? I think yes!
- Naturally gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free.
- Full of wholesome and healthy ingredients.
- Super filling for breakfast or a snack.
- Easy to customize with what you have on hand.
- Dense, chewy, and actually delicious.
- Ummmmm hello! Cookies…… for breakfast!
What’s the best way to store these breakfast cookies?
I personally like to store my cookies in the fridge where they will stay good for a week or more but they will also keep for a couple days at room temperature or several months in the freezer.
Ingredient swap ideas:
One of the many thing that I love about breakfast cookies is how customizable they are! Truly it’s all about using what you have on hand. That said, here’s a couple possible ingredient substitutions:
- Flour: The beauty of oat flour is you can easily make your own by blending rolled oatmeal in a high powdered blender or food processor. However if you don’t have that option you can also try swapping regular flour, almond flour, or one to one gluten free replacement flour. I wouldn’t recommend coconut flour as it is much more absorbent than other flours.
- Nut Butter: Instead of peanut butter, feel free to use whatever nut butter you have in your pantry! Cashew butter, almond butter, tahini, sunbutter, so many options!
- Banana: Instead of mashed banana, you can use 1/2 cup of applesauce.
- Sweetener: Not a fan of maple syrup? You can also use honey!
- Add-Ins: This is really up to you! I’m personally a fan of adding in chopped walnuts and pecans along with the chocolate chips but the options are endless! Other nuts, shredded coconut, and dried fruit would all be delicious.
If you love these Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies, you may also like:
- Zucchini Bread Breakfast Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Breakfast Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Breakfast Cookies
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal Bars
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXOPrint
Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies are naturally gluten free, dairy free, and low in sugar – not to mention they taste delicious!
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325, line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl until fully combined. Scoop out dough onto a prepared baking tray and press down slightly.
- Bake for 13 – 15 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
- In addition to the chocolate chips, I added in walnuts! Feel free to mix in whatever add-ins you prefer.
- These cookies aren’t overly sweet which I prefer for breakfast cookies. If you like them sweeter, just add in a little extra maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: breakfast, snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 193
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Carbohydrates: 25.9g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 20.7mg
Keywords: double chocolate breakfast cookies, breakfast cookies, healthy breakfast cookies, oatmeal cookies
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!