This Easy Taco Casserole is a cinch to throw together in no time at all! Full of veggies, ground turkey, and tons of flavor. This is the perfect meal prep casserole, so delicious and the leftovers are even better.
So going into creating this recipe (aka during this whole never-ending covid 19 scariness) I knew I wanted it to have several criteria: 1. Easy to make with simple (mostly staple, pantry) ingredients. 2. Makes a large amount. 3. Tastes great leftover. And by George I think she’s got it! (My Fair Lady Reference, anyone? Or is that just way un-cool??). This Easy Taco Casserole truly checks all of my boxes! Caleb and I have been eating it all dang week and neither of us are sick of it yet. It uses mostly canned goods with a couple fresh veggies, spices, and ground turkey (or ground meat of choice). If you’re vegetarian simply omit the ground turkey, if you’re vegan omit the turkey and switch out the cheese for your favorite vegan cheese. It’s seriously so easy to customize for your needs! I’ve also found that this re-heats well both in the microwave as well as in the oven. Quarantine might be boring, but at least it’s tasty, am I right?? Enjoy!
To make this Easy Taco Casserole you will need:
- corn tortillas
- ground turkey
- chili powder
- red bell pepper
- black beans
- green chile enchilada sauce
- Mexican cheese blend
A few notes:
1. I used ground turkey but any ground meat will work.
2. If you’re vegetarian, just leave out the meat! It will be just as delicious and flavorful.
3. To make vegan, just omit the meat and replace the Mexican cheese blend with your favorite vegan cheese.
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXO
Easy Taco Casserole
- March 23, 2020
- 30 min
- Print this
- • Corn tortillas: about 8
- • 1 lb ground turkey
- • 1 tsp cumin
- • 1 tsp paprika
- • 1 tsp chili powder
- • Salt and pepper to taste
- • 1 white onion, diced
- • 1 red bell pepper, diced
- • 1 jalapeño, diced
- • 1 can of corn
- • 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- • 1 (15 oz) can green chile enchilada sauce
- • Mexican cheese blend (1 cup or more to taste)
- Step 1
- Prepare the ingredients: Heat a little oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the ground turkey, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Fully cook the ground turkey then remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Step 2
- Add the onion to the pan (with additional oil if needed) and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the bell pepper, jalapeño, corn, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and salt and pepper and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Step 3
- Assemble the layers: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a 9×13 inch baking dish spread 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the pan. Layer in order: half of the tortillas (you may need to rip some in half to cover the whole bottom of the pan), half of the meat, half of the veggies, half of the beans, half of the cheese, another 1/3 of the sauce, remaining tortillas, remaining meat, remaining veggies, remaining beans, remaining sauce, and remaining cheese.
- Step 4
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese has melted and started to brown on top.
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!