Introducing my super Easy Vegan Bolognese! The perfect hearty and delicious sauce to top your pasta. You won’t even miss the meat!
So if you had told me a couple years ago that I would be making VEGAN bolognese “meat” sauce using MUSHROOMS, I probably would have told you that identity theft is not a joke, and I absolutely would never make anything with mushrooms. Because typically? I hate mushrooms. I’m sorry if mushrooms are your true love (like my husband for instance. He could eat mushrooms every dang day) but typically I’m just not a fan. But this Easy Vegan Bolognese is making me eat my words because it is packed with mushrooms and I am officially obsessed. Mushrooms and walnuts combine to make the “meaty” texture while just a dash of tomato paste and soy sauce deepen the flavors in your store-bought tomato pasta sauce (Yes I used store bought pasta sauce. I’m still serving up “simplicity” over here folks and I’m not about to be slaving over the oven for hours making my own tomato sauce, that’s for certain). So there you have it folks the easiest pasta dish that even those meat eaters are bound to love! Enjoy!
To make this Easy Vegan Bolognese you will need:
- pasta (like this gluten free brand)
- olive oil
- tomato paste
- soy sauce (I use gluten free)
- liquid smoke
- spaghetti sauce (I like this brand)
A few notes:
1. Feel free to use whatever shape/type of pasta you want!
2. The liquid smoke adds a deeper “meaty” flavor but it will still taste delicious without it (I know it’s an odd ingredient that not everyone has on hand).
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXO
Easy Vegan Bolognese
- March 26, 2020
- 15 min
- Print this
- • Pasta of choice (about 8 oz)
- • 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- • 8-10 oz cremini or baby bella mushrooms
- • 1 cup raw walnuts (soaked in hot water for 10-15 min then drained)
- • 1 tbsp olive oil
- • 1 onion, diced
- • 1 tbsp tomato paste
- • 1 tbsp soy sauce
- • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- • 1 (24 oz) jar of pasta/marinara sauce
- Step 1
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on box, drain, and set aside.
- Step 2
- In a food processor, pulse the carrots for a few seconds. Add in the mushrooms and walnuts and pulse again until desired texture is reached. (You don’t want the pieces to be too big but don’t pulse too long or it will be mushy). Set mixture aside.
- Step 3
- In a large pan, heat olive oil on med-high heat. Add in the onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, soy sauce, and liquid smoke to the onion and cook for 1 more minute. Add the mushroom mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Step 4
- Add in the pasta sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Toss cooked pasta in sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!