These gluten-free blueberry lemon scones are perfect with your morning coffee or tea. They’re so easy to make and only need a few simple ingredients.
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- zest of 1 large lemon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, frozen
- ½ cup milk of choice (nut milk, coconut milk, regular milk, etc)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1–2 tbsp additional milk for brushing
- 1–2 tsp cane sugar to sprinkle on top
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- fresh lemon juice until desired consistency is reached (see note)
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest.
- Grate the frozen butter using a cheese grater and toss into the flour mixture. Mix using your fingers until the mixture resembles large crumbs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the milk, egg, and vanilla together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and lightly mix together until everything is just moistened. Fold in the blueberries.
- Work the dough into a ball and transfer to a floured surface (you may need to flour your hands).
- Work the dough into an 8-inch circle and cut into 8 equal wedges. Place the scones at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops lightly with a little milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through.
- To make the glaze, mix the powdered sugar and lemon juice together until smooth.
- Once the scones have cooled, drizzle the glaze on top. Enjoy!
- A powdered sugar glaze can quickly become too thin so SLOWLY add the lemon juice as you whisk until your glaze reaches your desired consistency. I used about 1/2 a lemon’s juice.
- The key to a moist fluffy scone is to keep the butter nice and cold which is why I froze my butter. I froze mine for about 30 minutes.
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: English
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 24.7g
- Fat: 12.7g
- Carbohydrates: 51.2g
- Protein: 4.4g
Keywords: gluten free, gluten free scone, blueberry scone, blueberry lemon