So was anyone else absolutely OBSESSED with the soft Lofthouse sugar cookies that had approximately an inch of icing on top when you were a kid (or let’s be honest…. currently?)??. Because I most certainly was. The worlds softest cookie with the thickest amount of icing possible, what’s not to love?
I remember as a kid when our church would have potlucks I would always be celebrating in my head because I just knew that at the end of that dessert table would be that box full of my favorite sugar-coma inducing cookies. Would that table also be full of labors-of-love homemade desserts? Why yes, yes it would. But would I ignore said homemade goodies in preference of the most sugary cookie ever produced? Why yes, yes I would.
So needless to say I was fairly obsessed with these cookies as a child and knew that re-creating a gluten free version with a touch less sugar would be my Everest. Well friends here they are! They still have butter and they still have sugar but I’m guessing it’s several cups worth less than the OG recipe. But honestly? Just as delicious!
Reasons why you’ll love these Sugar Cookies:
- Super easy easy to make.
- Only 1 bowl needed. Less dishes? Yes please!
- Gluten free – I used this gluten free replacement flour but you can also use regular all purpose if you don’t need to be gluten free
- No need to chill the dough.
- Ummmmm hello! Sugar cookies….. with icing on top, yummmm!
If you love this recipe, you may also like:
- The Best Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Super Fudgy Brownie Cookies
- Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
- Healthy Monster Cookies
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXOPrint
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In stand mixer (or using a hand mixer) beat together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the egg, milk, and vanilla until well combined then slowly add in flour, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Scoop the dough onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly (the dough will be sticky).
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely, then frost with frosting of choice.
- You can certainly make homemade icing if you want but for a store-bought icing simplemills has top-notch ingredients.
- Nutritional information does not include icing.
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 7.1g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrates: 7.2g
- Protein: .5g
Keywords: sugar cookie, gluten free, gluten free sugar cookie, cookie
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!