Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta was always one of my favorites growing up, though it’s not necessarily the most healthy. This lightened up version brings all the same delicious flavors with a slightly healthier twist!
Aw Cajun Chicken Pasta! So many memories from my childhood with this dish. I’m actually rolling my eyes at myself as I type this because I feel like in every blog post recipe that’s ever been written, they all seem to start out with a novel about the writer’s childhood…. So trust me when I say I get the irony and the cynic in me is really laughing at myself. But back to my childhood…
Truly this dish does take me back because cajun chicken pasta was almost always the dish my siblings and myself all requested my mom to make when it was out birthday. It was such a treat and my mom still makes it every time we all go home to visit. Her classic recipe inspired me to make this lightened up dish! All the same delicious flavors and spices, just a tad bit healthier. That way this pasta can transform from a “special occasion, birthday meal” to a “let’s whip it up on the weekday meal”. So creamy, so flavorful, so dang delicious, I know you’re going to love it!
What makes this Cajun Chicken Pasta “Healthy”?
- Classic cajun chicken pasta dishes typically call for a large amount of heavy cream, butter, and/or cream cheese. I’ve lightened this dish by using a mixture of cashew milk, parmesan cheese, and corn starch for thickening.
- Extra veggies! Most recipes only have a super small amount of veggies (if any). Trust me the bell peppers in this recipe add the best crunch and the tastiest flavor.
- You can use any pasta brand that you like, but I typically like to use a gluten free pasta made from chickpeas! This cuts down on carbs and adds in extra protein.
Healthy Cajun Chicken Pasta Tips and Swaps
- You can swap out the chicken for shrimp or even use them both!
- Easily make this vegetarian by leaving the chicken out or replacing it with tofu or tempeh.
- I am personally gluten free so I made this dish gluten free by using this pasta.
If you love this Healthy Cajun Chicken Pasta, you may also like:
- Easy Vegan Bolognese
- Walnut Spinach Pesto
- Healthy Asian Peanut Noodles
- Super Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXOPrint
This lightened up Cajun Chicken Pasta brings all the same delicious flavors as the classic you love with a slightly healthier twist!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups cashew milk (see note)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp corn starch whisked together with 3 tsp water
- 8 oz linguini, cooked according to the directions on the package
For the spice mix:
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt, or to taste
- Mix together all of the spices for your spice mix and set aside. Cut your chicken into cubes and then sprinkle 2 teaspoons of your spice mix on the chicken to coat.
- Heat your oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Add in your chopped bell peppers and cook 3 minutes. Next stir in the remaining spices, cashew milk, parmesan cheese, and corn starch mixture. Bring to a light boil and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Reduce to a simmer, stir in the pasta, and let it cook for an additional minute and then serve!
- Make sure that you use unsweetened plain cashew milk. I used this one. You can use other milks but it will change the flavor. Real 2% milk will have the most similar flavor. Coconut milk would also be a good substitute, but note that it will be slightly sweeter.
- The Nutrition Facts are calculated for 4 servings.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: entree
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Cajun
- Serving Size: serves 4
- Calories: 451
- Sugar: 4.2g
- Fat: 10.9g
- Carbohydrates: 49g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 37.2g
Keywords: healthy cajun chicken pasta, cajun chicken pasta, healthy pasta, chicken pasta
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!