A classic candy treat but with a healthier twist and an added pretzel crunch! You’re going to love these sweet and salty Chocolate Pretzel Pecan Turtles!
- Pecans (around 30)
- Mini pretzels (around 30)
For the caramel:
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp nut milk
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
For the Chocolate:
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- To make the caramel: first soften the dates by letting them sit in hot water for 15-30 minutes.
- Drain the water then combine the dates, maple syrup, milk, almond butter, vanilla, and salt in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Line a tray with parchment paper and lay out all of your pretzels. Scoop date mixture onto each pretzel (about 1 tsp per pretzel) then freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- To make the chocolate: melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips together in the microwave.
- Dip the caramel covered portion of your pretzel in the chocolate then press a pecan on top. Return to freezer until the chocolate has set. Enjoy!
- If the caramel is really sticky and difficult to work with, allow it to set and firm up in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- It helps to have a wetted spoon when scooping the caramel onto the pretzels: it won’t stick as much.
- Melt your chocolate in increments in the microwave to ensure that you don’t burn it. I like to do 15-20 seconds at a time. Stir. Repeat.
- I like to store these in the freezer but the fridge will work as well.
- Category: dessert
- Method: no-bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 turtle
- Calories: 69
- Sugar: 2.7g
- Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 8.1g
- Protein: 1.2g
Keywords: healthy turtles, chocolate turtles, pretzel turtles, healthy dessert