Chai muffins, but make them sweet potato! Only one bowl needed and minimal ingredients. These muffins are full of chai flavor and make the perfect snack!
- 1 1/4 cup sweet potato, mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup gluten free flour (or all purpose flour)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
For the Frosting: (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the mashed sweet potato, coconut oil, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, allspice, and salt, mix until just combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Transfer to the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (Don’t overbake or they will be dry!).
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. (Wait until they are completely cooled before frosting)
For the Icing:
- In a stand mixture or with a hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add in vanilla and slowly add the powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy.
- Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes before frosting muffins.
- I didn’t “healthify” the cream cheese icing and it is 100% optional (the muffins are delicious without it), but who doesn’t love cream cheese icing??
- The Nutrition Facts do not account for the icing.
- I used one to one gluten free flour but you could also use regular all-purpose white flour. The key to this recipe is to keep an eye on it because if you over-bake it then it will be dry.
- To prepare the sweet potatoes I recommend steaming them but baking would also work.
- Category: breakfast, dessert, snack
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 228
- Sugar: 10g
- Fat: 10.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31.3g
- Protein: 2.7g
Keywords: sweet potato chai muffins, sweet potato muffins, chai muffins, gluten free muffins