This delicious Walnut Spinach Pesto is packed with flavor from the fresh basil, garlic, and parmesan. The addition of spinach adds a healthy twist without changing the classic Italian flavor of pesto that we all know and love!
I must admit, I’m not usually one for a giant salad full of greens. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about getting those veggies in, but chewing through a huge bowl of spinach is just not my jam. So whenever I can find a way to add in the greens without having to spend 40 minutes eating a salad, I’m all about it! My standard practice to “eat the greens without actually eating the greens” is a smoothie like this Green Goddess Smoothie or this Blueberry Cucumber Ginger Smoothie. This Walnut Spinach Pesto was the perfect delicious switch up! I’ve always been a huge fan of pesto, I seriously cannot get enough fresh basil. Adding in a bunch of fresh spinach just seemed like a no-brainer! You can seriously add in a TON of spinach and I promise you won’t even taste it. You’ll just taste the fresh basil. Plus a little switch up from the classic pine nuts to walnuts needed to happen because have you checked out the prices of pine nuts?? I’m not made of gold over here. Trust me you’re going to love this super fresh and vibrant Walnut Spinach Pesto!
To make this Walnut Spinach Pesto you will need:
A few notes:
1. Feel free to use any kind of pasta you want. (I like this gluten free brand. It’s made from chickpeas and has more protein, more fiber, and less carbs than your average pasta brand)
If you make this recipe I would love it if you comment below and let me know how it was! Also tag @servingupsimplicity on Instagram and use the hashtag #servingupsimplicity. XOXO
Walnut Spinach Pesto
- January 31, 2020
- 15 min
- Print this
- • 1 (8 oz box) pasta (I recommend a smaller noodle like shells or penne)
- • 3-4 cups fresh basil
- • 3-4 cups fresh spinach
- • Juice from 1/2 lemon
- • 1 tsp grated garlic
- • 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- • 1/3 cup olive oil
- • 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- • salt and pepper to taste
- • 3 tbsp pasta cooking liquid (or more if you want a thinner pesto)
- Step 1
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain pasta, reserving 3 tbsp of the cooking liquid.
- Step 2
- Add the basil, spinach, lemon, garlic, walnuts, olive oil, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times to get the ingredients chopped.
- Step 3
- Run your machine at full speed while drizzling in the pasta cooking liquid. Let run for 20-30 seconds or until your ingredients are well incorporated.
- Step 4
- Toss the pasta with the pesto and enjoy!
There may be affiliate links in this post! By purchasing a product I recommend, I may receive a small compensation. However, I only recommend products I love and use myself. Thank you for supporting Serving Up Simplicity so that I can continue to share delicious healthy recipes!